Wednesday, August 19

There really is heart warming good in this world, dig deep.

Two short stories. Aaaand go:

First off, at Scheel's. I've been desperately searching for a winter hat with ear flaps. So out of season, but I just get cold. So, I head for the sporting goods store in hopes of a skiing section of some sort. I find nothing, so after browsing, I ask a woman if there are any winter hats..just to be sure. She looks at me for a moment and says that she doesn't think they have anything out for that time of year yet. I simply shrug and say, "Alright, thanks!" and turn to walk away. She then stops me and asks me to follow her. I imagined she must have had some epiphany of where the hats were, so I followed. Then she takes me to this big door and tells me to wait a minute. So I stand there, wondering why I've been lead into the back. She then comes out with a huge box of winter hats and tells me, "These aren't supposed to be out yet, but you just go ahead and search through to see if you find one you like." Hm. This is where it clicked that she probably thought I was sick. So, I kindly said that she didn't need to do this and after going back and forth for a minute I thank her with a smile and go on my way. I am not sick, and I don't NEED a hat. I just wanted one. This lady went behind the scenes for me so I could have a winter hat. It seems like maybe I used my bald head to milk it here, but I kindly denied, and actually found out that there are people who genuinely care for others. I think a person who is sick should be treated special every once in a while. They go through complete hell sometimes, and a gracious smile and someone going above and beyond may be embarrassing to someone who is sick, but it shows that there is compassion in this broken world.

Next:

Sephora. I needed new foundation. I was way excited because Bare Essentials had a new line of matte powder foundation. So I enter the store and ask for help in finding the right shade. The lady was really sweet to me and even tested them out on my skin. All protocol for this store. Then I am on my way to the check out counter and she rings me up, then throws in a free sample of lip balm stuff. Again, normal for them. But she then pulls me in and tells me that she is opening this makeup brush and giving it to me because it hasn't been put out on the shelf yet. It was her little secret. That, not so much normal. She gave me that look of pity a little bit, and that she was doing all she could to try to make my day a good one. I didn't really think about this until I told my mom the story and she said, "Oh the lady thought you had cancer, I'm sure." I then put two and two together.

I don't know how it would feel, being sick. Being bald is one thing, but having cancer and being bald not by choice...a whole different ball park. However, though the special treatment gets embarrassing I'm sure, and the looks of pity get sickening after a while, it must be nice to have those kind of people around. I can have such an array of looks on the street. Every child EVER stares because they don't get it. Girls with luscious blonde locks and skin tight clothes with gobs of makeup on their faces look and me like I'm disgusting. Guys don't really look at me at all, unless it's a look of confusion or pity. It's never really the whole "up down" look. That's beside the point I guess. Anyway, it just is refreshing to be treated well every once in a while, rather than stared at. It's nice to have a smile rather than a raised eye brow. I'll always remember the way I've felt from different peoples' looks. It has been teaching me a lot about how sometimes, a move I make can make or break someone's day. Scary, but frighteningly true.

Have a warm heart. Love unconditionally, even from afar. Fill yourself with compassion. Smile.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I LOVED this post. Seriously, what you go through COULD be an amazing book. I just love the introspectiveness of it. So cool.